24 January 2009

 

Home

But recall the former days, when, after you were enlightened, you endured a hard struggle with sufferings, (33) sometimes being publicly exposed to reproach and affliction, and sometimes being partners with those so treated.  (34) For you had compassion on those in prison, and you joyfully accepted the plundering of your property, since you knew that you yourselves had a better possession and an abiding one.  (35) Therefore do not throw away your confidence, which has a great reward.  (emphasis, mine)
In "Faith's Hall of Fame," the author of Hebrews goes on to say that Abraham:
...was looking forward to the city that has foundations, whose designer and builder is God.
In speaking of Jesus Crucifixion, outside the gate of Jerusalem, we are encouraged to go to Him, to be like Him, and to bear His reproach...
...for here we have no lasting city, but we seek the city that is to come.  (15) Through Him then let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that acknowledge His name.  (16) Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.  (20) Now may the God of peace who brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, the great shepherd of the sheep, by the blood of the eternal covenant, (21) equip you with everything good that you may do His will...
Pastor's of the past would refer to Christian's (in my mind, there is only the 'born-again' kind (see John 3, Jesus' discussion with Nichodemas)) as Alien's and Stranger's on this earth.

Pastor Carlos, at this morning's men's breakfast up in Q-Town, reminded me that this world, actually, is not my home.  In effect, much like the Christian's in Bible times, we are looking for Heaven, a city whose designer and builder is the Lord of the Ages (Jesus Christ)!

I own a house.  I have a passport for the U.S. of A.  But this may change one day.  Maybe, like the early Christian's, I'll be put into prison for talking about Jesus and His love for all mankind (I hear this is hate speech).  Perhaps I'll have to forfeit my right to travel, or reside in the place of my own choosing due to the 'sky falling.'

OK, so that seems a bit silly; but it wasn't for the Hebrews of whom we just read!  If they had their property plundered, it's possible that mine will one day be, as well.  This world is not my home.

I love my computer, and my books.  My house is cool for what it is (OK, so it's not that cool, yet), but I don't really need these things ...as far as need goes.  Someday I'll loose my house, my computer, my stuffs.  Someday I'll loose the whole world, I'll die, but please, just give me Jesus.

John 14 says He's working on that home for me, where I won't be alien or stranger, because I'm already a resident up there.  I may not have a laptop, or lots of books in Heaven, but Paul tells Timothy that there's treasure there:
[We] are to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share, (19) thus storing up treasure for [our]selves as a good foundation for the future, so that [we] my take hold of that which is truly life.

Lord Jesus, I pray that when the time comes, we will have such a relationship that I can truly say with my whole heart, 'you can take the whole world, but give me Jesus.'  Mold me into your image.  Prepare me for every good work You have in mind for me.  Live in me, love through me, and glorify God in all I say, think and do.

Blessings!
ChaplainChas.



Hebrews 10:32-35, esv.
Hebrews 11:10
Hebrews 13:14-16, 20-21a
I Timothy 6:18-19  ... emphasis mine in all, [brackets] mine, as well.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]