14 December 2008

 

Unconditional Friendship

Is there such a thing as Unconditional Friendship.  That is the question I was posed.

I see my friend has posted his answer, and I have not yet responded, so here I go (before reading your answer, Randy)...

My friend Craig would say my answer is a 'Chasism.'  My answer is "Yes & No."

The only YES I can come up with would be Jesus is a friend that sticks closer than a brother.

On a fully man to man (as different than man to God-man) plane I fear the answer is NO.  I have always wanted the answer to be yes.

A big portion of my life has been spent in a passionate pursuit of the man or men who would fulfill my quest for unconditional love, acceptance, and yes, friendship.  Apart from Christ (and I've discovered He is who I was actually pursuing), these things are most definitely beyond reach, and there is the biggest condition.  Christ must be a part of the friendship.

There is another condition.

To the best of my ability I have followed what I know to be God's command to love and role-model that love of God to more than one individual, in essence, be a best friend whether that is returned or not.  I have been hurt, abused, misled and occasionally rejected (albeit briefly) as I have attempted to be a friend-that-sticks-closer-than-a-brother.

The condition is that a friendship is a two-way street, walked together, hand in hand.  What I have freely offered, w/o condition, still must needs be received.

The human heart according to Jeremiah 17:9 (?) is deceitful and wicked.  This side of heaven, I don't see it happening anymore.

I've mentioned friends on this blog in the past.  I love them more than I love my self and they know I will not hesitate to do anything for them (if I deem it in their best interest, or feel God's leading that way -- more conditions?), and have on more than one occasion.

Money?  Time?  A hand?  Advice?  My life?  Love?  Patience?  Hope?  A desire to share the meat of the Scripture?  Love for Jesus Christ?  A Passionate Pursuit of the Holy One?  All these and more I gladly dedicate and consecrate to our friendship and relationship with Abba -- Father God.

Since my love for my friends is from the overflow of my love for God, and by His grace this will not change, than I would say that from this side of the street I pose the offer of unconditional (faithful?) friendship.

I see it as the love of a wife for her husband, but now-a-days that seems altogether too conditional.  Many are even skipping the vows.

The love of a Father for his children?  I don't know that that would stand the test, either.

In closing I would have to bow to God, the Master of the Universe, and say that Unconditional Friendship is a two way street, based primarily on a love relationship with HIM; the overflow of which can be a conditional 'unconditional friendship.'

Hope you're not too confused.

Blessings!
ChaplainChas.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,


Comments:
A tough subject to tackle, Chas! My gut reaction is to agree with you in that there is no truly unconditional love (aka friendship) between humans, as sad and horrible a statement that is. I think since the Fall, we have such a deeply ingrained sense of selfishness that for most it's impossible to fully overcome. Yes, there is true love - which is an action... a purposeful thing that you do - but I would think that unconditional love & friendship only comes from God. Jesus demonstrated unconditional love for us in a way that I have yet to even begin to comprehend. And while many are willing to give their lives for others (soldiers, fathers, etc.) no one can love us like Christ.

So is that like the most depressing statement ever? Or is it the most wonderful, because it's clear who we must follow? I would hope that latter.

Blessings,
jer
 
"Jesus demonstrated unconditional love for us in a way that I have yet to even begin to comprehend. And while many are willing to give their lives for others (soldiers, fathers, etc.) no one can love us like Christ.

So is that like the most depressing statement ever? Or is it the most wonderful, because it's clear who we must follow.."

TRULY, Jerm, it's wonderful!!! <--- final answer!

Blessings!
ChaplainChas.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]