29 November 2008

 

Thanksgiving Spectacular, circa. 2008

Jesus is always there for us and He orchestrates schedules, events and even dinners so that believers can minister to other believers in times of trouble and in times of celebration.
The above is from "No More Stupid" - a blog I follow by Teri, a friend from the other coast.

As I read her insightful entry on her family and their resemblance to the body of Christ, I was reminded that the body of Christ is my family.

Holidays have not always been happy times for me.

I recall the occasional holiday growing up when I would be 'banished' to my room for some seemingly insignificant event, causing me to miss whatever I had deemed the 'best part' of that particular holiday.  Sometimes it would have been the parades, other times, the arrival of some relation or another.  The perception of this young me was that celebrations would be better off without me there.

This philosophy of living carried well into my adult years; likely affecting more than 3/4's of my holidays.

Thanksgiving 2008 was likely the best holiday I've celebrated; although it didn't look like it was going to be from my earlier vantage point.

Working in E.M.S. (9-1-1) I generally go home (the parents) every other Christmas or Thanksgiving.  Being scheduled naturally for Wednesday and Friday in November, I will be home for Christmas.  Having Thursday off could have meant another sad holiday alone.

Enter Ryan and Nate, two of my favorite people on the planet.  These brothers celebrated Turkey Day 2007 at Ryan's house, and thoroughly enjoyed it.  They invited me to join them this year, and I readily agreed.

Through a series of events, as the holiday approached Nate decided to travel over the holiday, placing a small quandary in my festivity planning.  As a note, I am sooo thankful that he got to head to warmer climates to spend time with a best friend of his from ages past.

The problem, was that this may mean that Ryan and Hilliary may change their plans, which of course, would change mine (you recall, don't you, that it really is all about me).  But 'Jesus is always there for us.  He orchestrates schedules, events and dinners so that believers can minister to other believers in times of trouble, and in times of celebration.'  Isaiah said 'but the Lord is mindful of His own... He remembers His children.'  Either way, I'm blessed.

I had resolved to celebrate the day with Jesus, even if other opportunities had NOT arisen.

The confirmation came and the Holiday arrived.   Communion Thanksgiving Eve was great.  Pastor's Brian and Carlos led a great evening, w/Pastor Joe speaking.  Slept in Thursday morning.

Arrived at R&H's and hung w/them and the babies.  Watched 'Star Wars:  Clone Wars' then more of Hill's fam arrived.  They were very pleasant and relaxed.  Appetizers, drinks and fun ensued and led through a lunch that would easily compete w/Mom's (sorry, Mom, but Hilliary did a wonderful job...).  More of Ry's family arrived for 'desert' and hanging out.

Well after dark the place began to thin out again and the hilarious comedy "Kung Fu Panda" aired on the DVD/TV.  I don't know when I've enjoyed a movie so much.  The lowest note was the last movie of the night, "Tropic Thunder" which I can't even say was laced with swearing.  That was the main focal point, methinks.  At any rate, I love Ryan and Hilliary so much the more and am thankful to be a part of their family.  Brother Nate was missed, but made an appearance via photo/text messaging that brought a good laugh.

I can hardly wait for the Wedding Feast coming up soon.  I'm sure to sit near Nate and R&H and so many of you.  The food will be beyond comparison, the atmosphere clean and blessed, the building (which I might add, has been in the works for a couple thousand years) beyond compare!  And the Groom:  I can only imagine.  The spouse of our dreams to spend eternity with.

Thank you Jesus, for a incredible day.

Even so, come quickly, Lord Jesus,
Blessings!
ChaplainChas.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,


Comments:
Thanks for posting about your holiday. I am glad it turned out well.

Be blessed.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]