15 November 2008

 

Derek Kostovick

Today I had the unique privilege of attending the "senior composition recital of Derek Kostovick"...

WOW!

It's been 18 years since I last was a music major in college and let me tell you, until you've seen Derek you've not been to a collegiate recital.  The compositions were great!

A Sax Moot was quite possibly my favorite!  With Derek on the grande piano, joined by Kevin Padworski, I was thrilled and moved by this piece!  The skill obviously draws a lot of exclamation marks from this reviewer! ! !  In all seriousness, though, the perfect 'trills' or 'downward runs' perfectly synchronized on keys and saxophone were musically provoking.

The Dark Waltz was wonderful.  During this piano solo, I was able to envision moments of dance laced with gossip sessions and snide looks cast out from all sides at the Phantom-esque middle-aged or older couple simply enjoying each other, and the pleasure of the dance irregardless of those others in attendance.  Breathtaking.

Harmonia Reflections.  In this piece I thoroughly enjoyed the piano, and this was a stellar piece which truly had a galaxy in view!

For Bell of the Ball Derek was joined by his self-described 'partner in crime' to sing a "Renaissance" duet.  Lauren McDowell fit the part well, and played her part as the Belle of the Ball.

Derek dedicated Stay the Same to the 'life and family of Kelsey Gallagher.'  I can only say that I loved it!  We all can relate, and this fitting piece brought a tear to each eye!  Joined by Emily Clark (obviously an excellent singer in her own right), Derek reminded us that true friendships will last into eternity, picking up where they left off after a few months or a few decades.  Thank you, Derek.

I wish I had stood to applaud A Sax Moot, but was pleased that the audience eventually gave young Mr. Kostovick the ovation he deserved, although the encore was not a Kostovick original.

I would like to end this review praising God for the excellent talent extended to Derek Kostovick, and thanking Him for the joy placed in our hearts because of this talented and accomplished musician.  May Derek continue to bless the One who blessed him.

Blessings!
ChaplainChas.

Labels: , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]