10 July 2008

 

Learning to Breathe

God has taken me through some pretty interesting places in life. Perhaps some day I'll share some of them here, but I'll just let that hang out there.

I've found myself stating more and more frequently that I 'hate my job. My full time job, that is, working as a Paramedic. The most frequent response I get to that statement is to the effect of:

Why on earth would you hate that? You get to help people who need you!


Blah, blah, blah, get a grip, blah, blah, blah.

My part time job is better. I get frustrated on occasion, but that's only natural, isn't it? Overall I love it, am useful, am appreciated, am growing, am learning... I help broken people learn to breathe again, especially in certain areas of their lives. I am not a counselor. I am a discipler.

:::Dramatic Pause:::

I want my own Coffe Shop and Bookstore.

Don't know where that came from.

:::Extended Dramatic Pause:::

Well, I guess I need to go spend some time with Jesus!

Blessings!
ChaplainChas.

Labels: , , , , , , ,


Comments:
What is it that you hate about it? What is it about having a coffee shop be your potential out?

Hope? relationship? Less "brokenness?"

I think it would be hard on so many levels to be a paramedic. I couldn't do it with my trauma background. I don't know how anyone does that work without the gifting and grace of God.

Jesus didn't promise us that we would have the jobs we want but He did desire to never leave or forsake us. His companionship always brings peace and most of the times contentment (in due time.) I will pray for you in that regard.
 
Thanks for posting, Randy! I'm glad someone reads through my rants and tantrums!

Work: Red tape and politics, and a board of directors who feel EMS hasn't changed in twenty years. They try to run the organization as a mom-and-pop joint instead of a business, and fail to see EMT's and Paramedic's are trying to be recognized for having a 'career' instead of volunteering (mostly gone in our suburbia).

Coffee Shop: I think I'll do a new post on that one.

Para-medicine: I definitely felt the 'call' to become a paramedic, way back in my active volunteer days. I've been in EMS (oh, the emergency medical services) for 14 years this month, but don't want to be doing this when I'm 60 years old. I'm willing, but obviously God needs to work a miraculous heart change in me if He's really calling me to stay active in Paramedicine much longer.

SOMETIMES I even get to share Jesus verbally with my 'patients.'

Contentment: I truly appreciate it. I want to be content (in whatever state/career/ministry I am in), but am in a struggle to be patient.

Sorry it took a while to respond.

Blessings!
ChaplainChas.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]