24 September 2008

 

1,570,000

In the interest of Truth and Justice, I'm going to go ahead and leave my original posting, here; BUT in the interest of TRUTH and Humility, I've found I need to correct this one!  See the notes below for the correction...


ORIGINAL POST:
David has long been hailed as Israel's King.  The King from which Messiah descended.  The King who sought after God's own heart.  The sweet Psalmist of Israel.

David was anointed by God, through the Prophet Samuel, to be king.  The Spirit Of God came upon him (granted he was not filled with the Spirit, never to be abandoned...).

First Chronicles 21:1 reads:  "Then Satan stood against Israel and incited David to...".

:::healthy pause:::

If this Man of God, David, author of Scripture (jointly w/Jesus) could be incited by Satan to do anything, how much more should we be on our guard (it feels better to say 'we' than 'I' and 'my')?

David sinned and ONE MILLION FIVE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY THOUSAND men died in a three day period because of it!  Granted I'm not a King, but it kinda sheds a little light on the whole 'my sin affects you' theory!

It only takes 12 verses for David to come to his senses...

First Chronicles 21:13 reads:  "Then David said to Gad, 'I am in great distress.  Let me fall into the hand of the LORD, for his mercy is very great, but do not let me fall into the hand of man."

And there it is.  The man after God's own heart knows God is a merciful God.  Even for decisions about punishment David runs into the hands of God, and not away from Him.

Oh that we would do the same.

Blessings!
ChaplainChas.

Now here's the correction.  David's sin did indeed impact the nation; however according to verse 14 only 70,000 men died due to the pestilence.  This is grave, indeed, but not as I had previously listed.  My apologies for the over-zealousness in getting the original post posted, and THANKS!

Labels: , , , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]